Tuesday, March 29, 2011

'Magic Valley' - part eight


The car below got me thinking about the Valley and Texas.



The bumper stickers say ‘PROUD TO BE A DEMOCRAT’ and ‘LIBERAL FOR LIFE’. Texas is highly conservative and Republican. However, Don reminded me that the Valley - where, in the 1970s, Cesar Chavez helped organize migrant workers - often votes Democrat. And, despite the area's ‘fast growing’ status, there's considerable under - and un - employment, and many who turn to social welfare programs.


Still, being Texas, it’s no surprise that, for some, Margaret Thatcher is a firm favourite.



Nor is it a surprise to see horses, bullet-riddled signs, what seem to be more pickups than cars, and motorcyclists without helmets.






Not shocked to come around a bend and see an ol’ dog sunning on the road. For the location, it just seemed kinda natural.



Sometimes here, there is, for a very amateur photographer, a satisfying starkness.




The people are lovely. At a Saturday market in Edinburg, this guy was plugging some local candidates.



This photo of a local musician speaks for itself.



Because I had to shoot quickly, this picture isn’t well-framed, but it was the first coonskin hat I’d seen since my Davy Crockett days.



Tim Hortons - Canada’s ubiquitous and hugely successful coffee shop chain - better watch out. I have found a more than satisfactory substitute.



Shipley’s can be found in many of the southern states. This one is in McAllen and unlike Tims, makes its own donuts on the spot. “Wanna to see how we make ‘em? Cmon in!” So American. Can’t imagine being warmly invited to see the frozen dough stuffed into whatever they use beyond sight of Tims’ counters.




I now own a Shipley mug and, next November, they’ll definitely get my business again.


I’ll miss Don and Jode, homemade orange juice and Texas claret, breakfast bike rides to a local Mexican restaurant and pancake suppers in the park. I’m still slightly taken aback that I like the place so much.




To be continued next winter ...