Sunday, August 28, 2011

New York to Houston ... the long way - part four


Later the same day as the previous entry ...


At home, I don't normally watch the weather on TV, but, stuck in my Newark hotel, I have plenty of time. A hurricane sure brings out all the special effects.


Graphics with rolling waves to make you queasy.



Something called a 'Futurecast', which strikes me as simply a forecast.



As the storm comes through, predictions of flooding alarmingly close ... happily, I'm five floors up.



While the rain sheets down, I focus on a nearby flag ...



... but sleep through most of it.


Although there's major flooding, damage and many deaths in much of the northeast U.S., a discarded umbrella is one of the few signs of destruction I can find near my hotel.



And that tattered Stars and Stripes continues to disconsolately flap over the railway station.