Friday, October 28, 2011

New York to Houston ... the long way - part forty-two




Yesterday, off the Mexican coast, I was at the bow taking touristy pictures of seabirds. After a while, the birds vanished and I started to leave, taking at last look round. On the forward mast, a new visitor had arrived.



Not the best angle for a shot, but half an hour later, I was on the bridge when the visitor and his or her mate settled on two of the containers.



In the late afternoon, there was a page throughout the ship: "Passenger John, passenger John, come quickly to the bridge and bring your camera!" On the starboard wing was one of our guests. As best as possible, I snapped through the door.




My fellow passenger must have liked the perch, because this morning he or she returned. Oliver watches.




Hawk? Falcon? No idea. Suggestions welcomed.


___________________________________________



November 22, 2011 - Thanks to Brian, I now know that the bird was likely an Osprey.