Thursday, May 30, 2013

Route 66 - part ten



Later, wandering around Oklahoma’s splendid capitol, I come across a painting.


‘A Storm Passing’ portrays what, after all, is as much part of Oklahoma as oil. I wonder if there are paintings of hurricanes in Louisiana’s capitol?

As we’re talking about oil, glancing out a window, I see this.


I hurry out to the parking lot for a better view.


 I’m told it no longer pumps, but there are operating derricks nearby.


I’ve long wanted to attend a minor league game in the States, not so much for the game as the atmosphere. Finally manage it in Oklahoma City’s comfortable little stadium.


The Oklahoma Redhawks are the Houston Astros Triple-A affiliate. Players so close you can easily hear their banter and slap of the ball in a mitt.


The Redhawks mascot is Ruby as in ‘ruby red’. According to her ‘biography,’ her favourite cartoon character is Tweety Bird. Aw!


Not a huge crowd, but enthusiastic.


Hot dog, a Mustang Pale Ale and the home team wins. Satisfaction.

By the way, must mention that, as I walked up to the ticket office, a kind man offered spares. Retract all my rude comments about bible bashers.