Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Route 66 - part fourteen


Back to Route 66 and into Seligman. In the Forties, the town still had hitching posts.






Seligman offers visitors a taste of Cars.


A near ghost town called Hackberry is God's Acre for antediluvian vehicles.




 However, I meet a charming Polish couple honeymooning on Route 66.


Better than Niagara Falls. 



For the record, I’m now in Kingman where Clark Gable and Carol Lombard married. 

My stay involves a quick hamburger. Temperature’s 105 degrees (40.5 Celsius). I’d planned for late May-early June hoping to miss the worst of the brutal, mid-continent summer heat. No such luck.

Early motorists were warned of the stretch between Kingman, Arizona, and Barstow, California. It was steep, there were sometimes flash floods and the desert sun was cruel. The route is still all of those. Even now, some choose to drive the Mojave by night. 

This trip is becoming a blur. How many days since I left Chicago? Did I really escape a tornado? Should I have had more than two scoops of frozen custard?