Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Philippines on two wheels - part four



Gord's waterfront home has all the tropical requisites - stunning sunrises over the Bohol Sea, palms lining a sweep of beach, usefully picturesque fishermen and their banca boats. To this coast in 1565 came Spanish sailors who named the island Negros because of the many 'black' people.



There are paddy fields and mountains, (which, even now, make direct, cross-island travel problematic). The Cuernos de Negros (Horns of Negros) are extinct volcanos rising more than 6,000 feet (1,800 metres).



A peak can be seen through the cloud in the picture below. Clicking on the photo also allows you to see the child on his father' s lap. I think there were four people on this motorcycle. I've spotted five. 


Home for Gord, his partner, Mae, and son, Mark, is a dive resort. Here are Gord and Mae; Mark's not been around for a group photo.


The resort is an architectural hotchpotch, a Mediterranean-Filipino-Hobbity mix the Swiss owner has thrown together over the years.








There’s even a ‘resort cat’, which clearly appeals to me.


Gord, Mae and Mark live on the third floor, so you can understand why, when the earthquake hit, they exited in record time.


Their apartment has a modern kitchen, satellite television, two bedrooms and all mod cons. Renting makes sense where property ownership is often problematic (putting it mildly), especially for foreigners. 

I'm just across the way in a little cottage.


Out back, I have the most wonderful, private courtyard with loo. Here's the view from my toilet. I presume you don't want to see me, at least not on the pot. 


Even better is the courtyard shower. I stand under the heavens, well, under the water, soaping myself down. This is an unappetizing spectacle, but the walls are high.


In a two-shower-a-day climate, the best scrub has been during an unexpected downburst. I stood in the deluge alternating between tepid rain and warm shower.

Here's the view from my shower or would be if I could see with my glasses off.


All was going well until, with glasses on, I noticed a very large and heavy bunch of bananas drooping threateningly over the shower.



One of the resort employees quickly arrived and saved me from becoming a banana split.