Saturday, November 25, 2017

Mediterranean 2017 - part nineteen



It’s not that I don’t like Gibraltar. I admire the locals who democratically and by a vast majority voted to remain British. I applaud their resistance to Madrid’s bullying and that despite my appreciation for much that is Spanish. I’ve explored the Rock (see link below) and delight in the history of this British Overseas Territory. 

It’s just that, this time, I’ve come to realize Gibraltar has the dreariest, blandest, most architecturally uninspiring residential buildings I’ve ever seen. 






Long may Gibraltar have overpriced British pubs and a Marks and Spencer where I occasionally buy a sweater.



Long may it have post boxes and telephone booths that make visitors happy.


And long may the Union Jack fly, flap or droop here.


Yes, there are traditional buildings of some merit, but what I’ve seen of the modern stuff  - yuk!

=======================================================

Link to previous post on Gibraltar:

 http://trainsandboatsandplanesandtheoddbus.blogspot.ca/2010/11/take-that-colonel-gaddaffi-and-other_19.html