Thursday, October 27, 2022

Travelling again - part four


 
At risk of losing your respect, it’s great fun to watch the unwary getting soaked. 


Of course, I would never be caught out by a rogue wave. 


On the other hand this wave was expected. Note man on left with anticipatory phone or camera.



The sun mostly keeps me from the beach, but, early morning, coffee in hand, Waikiki is a happy photographic hunting ground. Which nicely segues to this chap with his metal detector. I spot him most days, but he never seems to find anything. 




One of Honolulu’s busiest streets is literally only metres away. Presumably his meditation is helped by what he can hear, over the traffic, of the waves. 



I often see this local with his cronies.



This is one of the few I notice not surfing, swimming or being fried to a crisp. Able to put the nearby hubbub aside and quietly appreciate sand and water and just being on holiday.



Away from the beach, where I can stand in the shade, I do find other possibilities. Overall tho’, not as many ‘people shots’ as on past trips.




One thing does stand out for someone from Canada, an increasingly secular country where religion isn’t significant in politics. And that’s the particular American predilection for public, often in-your-face religion.  



I frequently encounter Waikiki shoreside missions, revival sessions and fervent testimony.



Perhaps you get the idea.


And you really get the idea from this guy, a weekend fixture on Kalākaua Avenue, one of Honolulu’s main arteries. 





The last sidewalk bible-thumper I saw in a big city was in Sydney, Australia. Can’t remember something similar in Toronto. 


At Forster Botanical Gardens, where Kathy & Michael kindly take me, I find this Buddha more to my taste. Sort of like the guy meditating on the beach, but with less noise.



Back in Waikiki at first I wonder if they're a sun worship cult, but no, only an exercise class.