Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In Napoleon's wake - part seventeen



Back in Cape Town - here the pilot boat is arriving -  and a last task before leaving. 

On St. Helena, the British supplied Napoleon's food and drink. These are some of the original accounts.


Napoleon was partial to wine from the the 17th Century Groot Constantia estate near Cape Town. On his deathbed, he had a sip saying, it's claimed, ‘A drop can't hurt me.' 

I visit the historic vineyard on the slopes of Table Mountain. As so often on this trip, I'm fortunate to be largely on my own.




The honeyed Grand Constance wine Napoleon appreciated is late-harvested from Muscat de Frontignac grapes. Wine Enthusiast Magazine describes it as a 'sweet, nutty dessert wine.' Apparently, Jane Austin recommended it for a broken heart and Baudelaire, in Fleurs du Mal, said only a lover's kiss exceeded it in heavenly sweetness. 

I don't particularly enjoy sweet wines, but the scent is delightful.


I - with reservations - remember the great tyrant, but more important, toast the fantastical island of St. Helena.

Salut! Cheers!


______________________


Bruce takes me to dinner and airport. How often do we find a person, let alone three at once, with whom we immediately have a bond? And then, even as it begins, regret that the relationship will be difficult to maintain.

Megan, Brenda and Bruce, we may not meet again, but I treasure your friendship. Beetroot to you all (and, dear reader, you had to be there)!