Saturday, February 15, 2014

South America & Falklands - part nineteen


Sixty-five species of birds breed on the Falklands. Above is a male Kelp Goose I see while walking into Port Stanley.

I do well to recognize a Toronto pigeon, so only know it's a Kelp Goose because the ship is crammed with birders. Heading into towns rather than wildlife destinations, I'm an anomaly. However, at West Point Island, even I march over the hill to an albatross and penguin colony. It's a long walk. This is the guy behind me.


Crossing the island in the middle of seeming nowhere is a 'no smoking' sign. This seems odd until I remember peat fires are a worry on the Falklands.


Eventually, a marvellous sight.


Rockhopper penguins mix with Black-browed Albatrosses.





Irritated penguin.


Happy penguin.


 Snoozing penguin. Aw!


I'm not the first to covet the Falklands Land Rover dealership. They are the most popular vehicle on the islands. Although hundreds of miles of roads have been laid since the war, most are gravel and much travel is 'off road'. Four wheel drives are essential.



A kind person gives me a lift back, bumpity, bump, bump, bump!