Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Mediterranean 2014 - part two


In San Juan, Puerto Rico, the Bacardi distillery is a popular destination. Armies troop in that direction, while I head for a quiet pharmacy. Sun cream and a cheap bottle of rum in under five minutes.

That done, I wander in the old city, which, with its Spanish heritage, reminds me of Havana or Intramuros in Manila. 







Next morning, approaching St. Maarten, I take the trip's one, obligatory, sunrise/sunset shot. The effect is accentuated by the topmost deck. I'm always surprised so few people are around at this time of day.


We dock in Philipsburg, alongside the Norwegian Getaway (bizarre name for a ship) ...



 ... and the MSC Divina. 


Enough said.

Philipsburg's duty free shops ('Try on our new Dancing Diamond Collection') do not attract me. I master the ship's laundry (meaning I manage to avoid too much detergent in the washer) and return to my cabin triumphant. I am ready for the Atlantic crossing.