Thursday, March 21, 2019

Portugal 2019 - part five



Roads less travelled …


… take us into the Algarve hinterland.


Wonderful ‘mystery flowers’. If anyone knows what they are, please let me know.

(April, 2019 - back home I chanced on a picture and found that these are Rock Rose or Cistus ladanifer flowers. They are native to Iberia, Southern France and parts of North Africa.)




And storks. I haven't seen so many before and now know the collective for storks - a muster or mustering of storks.


There is still some green …


… although often signs of 2018’s terrible fires. Two years ago, more than sixty people died in wildfires in central Portugal. 



Spring flowers and fire charred trees on the way to Foia in the Algarve’s high country. Already there are concerns about early wildfires this year.

_________________________



In Luz I have found another place on morning walks. An unpretentious spot called the Café Jasmin where I usually have an Americano and pastéis de nata. With one or two other early patrons, I watch the morning TV news trying to make sense of the Portuguese. That’s easier than …


… this jumble I pass on my way back to the holiday home. What’s the collective for signs? Perhaps a ‘confusion’ of signs.