Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Newfoundland & Labrador - part four


A final few odds ’n’ ends.


Yes, it was windy …

… and foggy …

… and occasionally chilly …


… but it wasn't as daunting as the weather for which the ancient Bombardier I found in Labrador was built.

Flowers were starting to bloom …

… and I can attest that Newfoundland does get brilliant sun, as I discovered in July 2017.

Newfoundland’s one of those happy places where it’s difficult not to get decent shots. 



And I was able to satisfy my love of out-of-the-way Chinese restaurants. I’ve long admired the brave Chinese who - when coming here was’t easy - opened eateries in the smallest of remote settlements. Usually the only non-white people, they suffered prejudice, but became integral, much trusted and valued, community members. I’ve recently been reading a history of Canada’s small-town Chinese restaurants, Chop Suey Nation.


One such place is St. Anthony’s Far East in Newfoundland’s far north.

I had the combo 604 - egg roll, sweet and sour chicken balls, fried rice and chicken chow mein - for $11.45. Definitely not what you’d dare order in a posh Toronto Chinese restaurant. Yum! Yum!

Unfortunately these restaurants in other Newfoundland towns have succumbed and I wasn’t able to indulge in ‘fantastic cuisine’. 



As well as combo 604 I had cod aplenty. Cod chowder, pan fried cod, cod au gratin, cod and chips. I could have had poached cod, cod tongues, cod cakes, cod poutine, a ‘codwich’,  cod tacos, cod simmered in milk or beer battered cod. I did have crab, mussels and lobster. Also plenty of Iceberg Beer. And ‘3 Sheets to the Wind’ blueberry and crowberry wine, but wouldn’t recommend it.

Last pictures. I will never know who left this charming ‘rock person’ on a completely deserted Newfoundland beach.


No matter. I will remember early morning, coffee in hand, walking alone beside the recently fully paved, 714 mile Trans Labrador Highway with little but trees, glimpses of water and an ATV in distant sight. 

And later people wave as they pass in a car or pickup. Or stop to chat. “You’re not from around here, me boy.” Or “me darlin’”, depending on speaker’s gender. 


Heartwarming welcomes and friendliness. I’d experienced that on previous visits, but comforting to know it still exists. Canadians have great affection for the people of Newfoundland and Labrador. And for their island, the ‘Rock'.